Please note that this job has expired and is for reference only. See our active listings for jobs.
Our thriving Calgary Transportation Practice is currently looking to add an Engineering or Planning Student to their team for a 4-month summer work term starting May 1, 2018. Our Transportation Team is an integral part of the overall professional services that we offer our clients for communities in and around the Calgary area.
Working alongside other intermediate and senior transportation planning professionals our goal is for you to come away with an enhanced skill set that will serve you well in your future career as a transportation planner or engineer. As such, you will benefit from the support of a coach that will help you gain exposure to our inter-disciplinary environment as well as the different stages in the lifecycle of a project. In general, you can expect to be involved in the following kinds of activities:
- Providing effective support on transportation related projects (parking strategy, area structure plans, transportation master plans, transportation impact assessments, highway and urban design, active transportation planning and design)
- Preparing background reports and conducting research in transportation related topics (active transportation, transportation technologies, mobility service delivery, road pricing strategies)
- Assisting in the preparation of proposals, presentations, surveys and participating in other project work;
- Communicating in an effective and timely manner with co-workers, clients, governments and the general public;
- Strengthening business relationships through exemplary work that meet or exceed client needs and expectations;
- Attending public meetings, workshops and open houses as required; and
- Working closely with other members of our transportation planning team to help grow our transportation planning practice in Alberta.
Our preferred candidate has a keen interest in transportation related planning or engineering, is currently a senior student (third or fourth year undergraduate or current masters student) enrolled in an accredited civil engineering or urban planning program. Successful candidates will be looking to supplement their studies with relevant work experience and possess the following skills, strengths and interests:
- Solid understanding of standard planning and transportation principals;
- Confident application of Microsoft Office 365;
- Functional understanding with transportation modeling software (Synchro, PTV, SIDRA, HCS);
- Familiar with AutoCAD and ArcGIS;
- A self-starter that can work independently and collaborate effectively with others;
- Service oriented mindset, with the ability to produce high quality work under all circumstances;
- Interested in a wide range of transportation related topics such as network planning, transportation, economic development, active transportation, highway and urban design, and governance;
- Keen to work with a diverse range of clients including local governments, Indigenous communities, public corporations and private landowners;
- Holds a valid Class 5 drivers license; and
- Energetic, enthusiastic and able to thrive in a fast paced environment.