Perkins and Will is an interdisciplinary, research-based architecture and design firm founded on the belief that design has the power to transform lives and enhance communities. Recognized as one of the world’s top global design firms, we focus on innovative research and design expertise to influence buildings and ideas that honor the broader goals of society. At the heart of this belief is that our people are the most valuable asset we bring to our work.
The i/o Team
The i/o team works on innovative technology solutions that help reinvent our core processes and reimagine services to our clients. We strive to deliver a wide range of digital solutions in the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction (AEC) space – for our own internal business, our clients’ environments, and ultimately, the users of the spaces we design. Our innovations include web and native apps around multiple intelligence domains – spatial, image, strategic business, social, and design intelligence. Our team (of about 8, but growing) also comes from a diversity of backgrounds – economics, architecture, graphic design, interior design, and computer science.
- An unrelenting focus on user experience and delight
- Design-thinking DNA: agile, iterative, team-centric
- A data-driven approach fueled by curiosity and imagination
What We’re Looking For
Our Chicago lab is looking for a UX/Interaction Designer who can make sense of complex workflows and turn them into elegant, intuitively designed user experiences. Candidates will have the opportunity to research and design flagship digital products that will be used globally by our clients and employees. You will be working closely with our firm leaders, users, ideation teams, developers, and creatives to bring your design strategy and interfaces to life. The ideal candidate should have an appetite for next-generation user experience design within the fields of machine learning, AR/VR, augmented intelligence, physical computing and connected devices.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a related field
- 3-5 years experience in a software UX role
- Skilled in Sketch, Adobe XD/CC, Invision, Zeplin, Balsamiq or other visual design and wireframing tools
- Strong understanding of clean visual design with a focus on user-system interaction
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and an ability to present your designs to users of all levels
- A self-starter who can understand and solve problems creatively and effectively
- Experience in Architecture, Engineering and related fields a plus.
- Ability to lead or participate in rapid ideation and prototyping sessions.
- Create interfaces, user flow diagrams, conceptual wire-frames, and interactive prototypes
- Conduct research, workshops, and usability testing as needed to better understand users’ thought processes and solidify design direction
- Interpret analytical insights in order to identify priorities/pain points in current designs, then iterate across creative solutions
- Collaborate with product managers, concept teams, and clients to understand product requirements and meet client goals
- Effectively present design decisions and prototypes to peers, cross-functional team members, and stakeholders
- Keep up with evolving UX trends, technologies and best practices
Qualified and interested candidates should submit a resume and link to portfolio.