You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as a Workplace Designer at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
As a Workplace Designer, you’ll be responsible for creating holistic interior solutions for global workplace needs. You will inspire targeted audiences with new ways of thinking about workspace design. You’ll work with the Herman Miller Sales Team and the A+D community to interpret the customer’s workplace strategy into Herman Miller product solutions. You’ll also deliver knowledge-based expertise and consulting that adds value to the customer, deepens relationships, contributes to the sales of both products and services, and differentiates Herman Miller as a knowledge leader and solution provider.
NOTE: You MUST submit a portfolio at the time of your application.
What You’ll Do
You’ll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you…
- Conduct activities in support of multiple/large projects. Your typical assignments will provide exposure to complex design activities.
- Critique product ideas to assist in the decision of their relevance as well as any improvements or enhancements.
- Develop and independently implement work strategies to achieve desired results, conferring with leadership on unusual issues/situations and typically only receiving strategic guidance on assigned activities.
- Develop and/or oversee the preparation of highly detailed client presentations.
- Develop holistic interior planning solutions, including furniture solutions.
- Integrate the breadth of critical needs and considerations into ideas, including technology, facility management needs, and economic criteria.
- Lead the client needs assessment, including presentations to key audiences.
- Participate in cross-functional assignments.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
- Provide constructive critique and critical feedback in an ongoing fashion, based on objective rationale.
- Provide professional mentoring to less experienced team members.
- Develop a scope of contacts internally and externally that reflects the networking required to achieve results.
- Strategize the use of visualization tools to convey solution ideas to client needs.
- Synthesize and articulate applications insight for audiences of varying levels of planning expertise utilizing presentations, publications, and other appropriate tools.
- Translate interior planning solutions into product requirements and specifications as required.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we’re looking for if you have…
- A Bachelor’s degree in Interior Design, Architecture, or Facility Design from an accredited program, or equivalent education and professional experience. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- A NCIDQ Certification.
- Seven to ten years of experience in interior design, space planning, or facility management.
- Three to five years of experience with commercial furniture systems, including Herman Miller product knowledge.
- A demonstrated ability to use AutoCAD, Revit, and current 3D software.
- Advanced knowledge of industry standard specification tools.
- A proficient knowledge of the Microsoft and Adobe product lines utilized for presentations.
- Proven experience applying workplace trends and research.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills, including professional presentation and facilitation skills.
- Proven conceptual problem-solving experience for interiors.
- Successful experience working with a wide array of contract furniture products to meet emerging needs in a creative way.
- Demonstrated research, diagnostic, and synthesis skills around a breadth of topic areas for workplace interiors.
- The ability to work in a fast-paced, changing work environment at all levels of the organization.
- A demonstrated ability to build long-term relationships with customers and business partners, particularly at senior decision-making levels across an organization.
- An applied knowledge of issues/applications in contract furniture product.
The ability to work cooperatively both in a team environment and independently.
- A proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and successfully coordinate the efforts of internal and external resources.
- A demonstrated ability to effectively use the office automation, communication, software, and tools currently used in the Herman Miller office environment.
- A willingness and ability to travel up to 30 percent of the time.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions of the position with or without accommodations.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miller is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including veterans and people with disabilities.