TerraViva Competitions launches LIGNANO PINEWOOD, a new architecture contest that aims to design an Eco-Hotel complex within the characteristic Pine Forest of Lignano Sabbiadoro, while ensuring the valourization and preservation of its natural environment.
Although today a large part of the Pine Forest is protected, several plots are privately owned. The pressures of real estate development in a touristic attraction like Lignano are not few, and the risk of uncontrolled speculation is now stronger than ever. The question that arises then is that of guiding the growth of a city in such a way that it can do so while respecting and valuing the existing natural context.
- Participants will take on the task of designing a masterplan capable of integrating and re-establishing the connections between Lignano Pinewood, the pedestrian paths and the waterfront.
- With the idea of reinforcing this urban axis, the now underused Commercial Plaza should become the point of convergence between forest and sea, giving Lignano a new functional urban space.
- Furthermore, contestants will have to concentrate their efforts on the intervention area within the Pinewood, where the primary task will involve the design of an Eco-Hotel complex. The general strategy will have to maintain morphological coherence, prioritizing the integration of buildings and pathways with the natural landscape while preserving as many trees and vegetation as possible.
- The design must take into account both the choice of materials and the formal image of the volumes, pursuing a harmonious combination with the environment.
- Regarding the masterplan, buildings may be distributed freely according to the criteria of each designer. Naturally, the layout must be justified through the general concept behind the project.
Requirements & Eligibility:
- The competition is open to students, architects, designers, urbanists, engineers, artists, makers, activists and anyone interested in the fields of architecture and urban design.
- Participants can join the competition either individually or with a team.
Prizes & Mentions:
- 1st Prize: 7.000€
- 2nd Prize: 2.000€
- 3rd Prize: 1.000€
- 4 Golden Mentions: 500€ each
- 10 Honourable Mentions (1 free competition in 2024)