The cultural change in office use brought on by the pandemic amidst a widespread housing shortage suggests redevelopment opportunities that can be explored through the lens of a speculative design competition. The Metals in Construction Magazine 2023 Design Challenge seeks to explore this theme, offering a $15,000 grand prize to the most innovative design concept illustrating the feasibility of redeveloping an office tower for residential use.
When office towers lose tenants to market rivals, owners usually resort to makeovers. A move to remote work has changed this. With office occupancy barely above 40% of pre-pandemic levels, building owners look for more viable occupancies elsewhere. Redeveloping their properties for residential use is one option. Given the severity of the housing shortage in many cities, encouraging owners to pursue residential opportunities instead would be very advantageous. Is this possible? Is it feasible?
Concepts are to be based on 1633 Broadway, a 48-story office tower and legitimate theater complex located in New York City’s famed Theater District.
- Submissions must satisfactorily depict the proposed layout of residential units and common areas in compliance with current code safety requirements for habitable space, building circulation and exiting using this floor plate as the basis
- Submissions must satisfactorily represent current design strategies for desirable apartment living.
- Proposed solutions must demonstrate an attempt to anticipate and accommodate future conditions resulting from desired apartment living.
- Submissions must satisfactorily depict and provide convincing, carbon-efficient, year-round control of the indoor environment, including how natural ventilation for individual units is achieved.
- Finally, participants must design entries considering the key elements of safety, quality, cost, aesthetics, and constructability in New York City
All materials for the Metals in Construction Magazine 2023 Design Challenge are due by 11:59 PM. Wednesday, February 15, 2023. Once you register, you may log in and edit your entry as many times as you like until the deadline. This competition is sponsored by the Steel Institute of New York, which reserves the right to suspend or amend the cash award if deemed warranted by circumstances