The Rural Revitalization and Regeneration (R3) competition is a strategic initiative aimed at promoting comprehensive rejuvenation and sustainable development in rural areas. It focuses not only on the economic development of rural regions but also emphasizes progress in social, environmental, and cultural aspects. The R3 Design Competition is conceived to develop a design strategy guided by “critical regionalism” or “contextualism,” intending to propose projects and designs closely related to local culture, architectural language, environment, and economy. The competition aims to integrate resources, improve infrastructure, encourage innovation, and foster community sharing without compromising local characteristics and cultural authenticity.
The R3 competition invites architects, designers, planners, students, and participants who are passionate about sustainable rural revitalization to utilize the cultural and historical resources of Shanxiabao Village to create a space that promotes cultural exchange and heritage preservation, while driving the development of local handicraft industries and sustainable tourism.
- The competition accepts submissions of various types of architectural projects, including single-family residences, multi-unit buildings, public structures, adaptive structures, temporary living experiences, or any other scale of architecture.
- There are no limitations on the design process or construction techniques. The proposed designs should be selected within the designated area and consider their relationship with the surrounding environment.
- Designers are expected to respect local culture and architectural character, contemplate the integration of modern technology with rural history and culture, and propose future development strategies that align with rural conservation and revitalization. These strategies will also be crucial elements for project evaluation.
- The final architectural or spatial design should be driven by the development strategy, with the reasons and intentions behind the design clearly explained in the drawings.
- Prizes of a total of $5000, including Cash Prize + Certificate + Exhibition + Publication + Interview + Gifts + Voucher.
- Prizes will be divided and recognized into Professional Group, Student Group, and Idea Group, with 1st/2nd/3rd prize, Honorable Mentions, Public Choice Award, Special Award for Innovative Design, Design Communication Award, and Visual Performance Award.