The Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia (IAAC) calls its 10th Advanced Architecture Contest as a global reflection to explore the transformative potential of Artificial Intelligence (AI) for the built environment. This competition aims to inspire participants to envision novel applications of AI mixed with non-AI tools that can shape the future of architecture, urban planning, and design.
Proposals should investigate how advanced technology tools can offer fresh perspectives on the built environment. These imaginaries can range from critical speculation to forward-thinking projections. The designs should directly engage with one of the topics proposed and respond providing design interventions across a wide range of scales:
- Regenerative Decarbonization
- More-than-Human Cohabitation
- Extreme Migrations
- Radical Self-Sufficiency
- Planetary Automation
- Emergent Territories of Urbanization
The competition evaluates design proposals based on four key criteria:
- Narrative Capacity: Ability to convey advanced design projections effectively, blending AI tools with traditional design tools to tell a compelling story.
- Relevance to Topics: Alignment with one topic proposed and relevance of the solution offered.
- Design Quality and Innovation: Quality of the design and spatial innovation of novel and creative solutions.
- Integration of AI and Non-AI Tools: Capacity to combine the strengths of AI and non-AI tools, with AI offering automation and generative capabilities and non-AI tools providing precision and human creativity.
Eligibility & Restrictions
- The competition is opened to students and professionals with no age limit.
- The projects may be carried out individually or in groups, with no restriction on the number of members of the team.
- Any individual or organization related to the promoting organization, such as members of the advisory committee or sponsored researchers, and anyone professionally associated with the promoter; members of the Competition Jury and organizing Staff; any person directly or indirectly involved in the summary of the Competition will not be eligible to take part in the competition.
- 1st Prize: 3.000,00 € + Master at IAAC (value approx 19.875,00 €)
- 2nd Prize: 2.000,00 € + Master at IAAC (value approx 19.875,00 €)
- 3rd Prize: 1.000,00 € + Master at IAAC (value approx 19.875,00 €)
All of the selected projects will be featured in a special book produced in conjunction with the Actar publishing house like in the previous editions.