The International VELUX Award for students of architecture is back for the 2024 edition.
“Light of Tomorrow” is the overall theme of the International VELUX Award. The award seeks to challenge students to explore the theme of daylight – to create a deeper understanding of this ever-relevant source of energy, light, and life. Additionally, it challenges student to explore the future of daylight in the built environment with an open-minded and experimental approach. Therefore, the award seeks to widen the boundaries of daylight in architecture, including aesthetics, functionality, sustainability, and the interaction between buildings and environment.
The jury will evaluate the projects in accordance with the following criteria:
- The work with daylighting as a premise for architecture.
- How the project is researched and documented.
- How the project addresses contemporary and future challenges.
- The level of experimentation and innovation.
- The overall graphic presentation of the project, how the project presents itself.
- The award is open to any registered student of architecture – individual or team – all over the world. They encourage multi-disciplinary teams including e.g. engineering, design and landscaping. Every student or student team must be backed and granted submission by a teacher from a school of architecture.
- The award welcomes projects from individuals or groups of students, who are students during the study year 2023/24.
- There is no limit to the number of entries from each school, but participating schools should ensure the quality of submitted study projects, e.g. by making a prejudgment. VELUX employees cannot participate.
- The total prize money is up to 30,000 €.
- Depending on the results of the international jury, a Grand Prize of 5,000 € per category will be awarded (4,000 € to the student and 1,000 € to the teacher) for the most outstanding projects.
- Depending on the results for each region, a prize of 1,250 € per category will be awarded for the best projects (1,000 € to the student and 250 € to the teacher).
- The jury will be allowed to award a number of special prizes, including prizes for innovative use of VELUX products.