Kaira Looro Architecture Competition is a design contest open to students and young architects with aims to discover new talents and to adopt sustainable architecture models for humanitarian purposes to improve conditions in developing countries. Cash prizes, an internship and construction are provided for winners, selected by an international jury made up of prestigious architectural firms.
The challenge of 2022’s edition is to design a Children’s House in Senegal, as a warm and welcoming place where activities aimed at preventing child malnutrition can be carried out in a rural environment.
The architecture of the Children’s House will be a space intended to prevent child malnutrition by providing nutritional material, the development of hygiene and healthcare awareness programmes, the organization of paediatric and social care appointments, housing for at-risk patients, and the training of community nurses, who will guide local families on best practices in relation to prevention and nutrition. The design will be constructed in the context of a humanitarian programme, with a team of volunteers and with the participation of the beneficiary community. The architecture will need to consider the following:
- Administration: There will need to be an area, for a maximum of 8 people, intended for filing, and for managing and organizing activities.
- Hospitality: Children’s medical examinations will be carried out in this area and, in cases where they are at risk, it should be possible to offer hospitality to facilitate monitoring and care.
- Recreation: While children are being monitored and cared for, the psychological aspect is also important.
- Be easily built with sustainable technologies that can be adapted for self-construction and which do not require the use of heavy vehicles or complex machinery;
- Make use of natural and/or recycled materials available in the area so as to limit the environmental and economic impact caused by transport of materials and to generate revenue within the local context;
- Be integrated into the social and cultural environment of the location.
- 1st Prize: 5,000€ + Construction + Internship at Kengo Kuma
- 2nd Prize: 2,000€ + Internship at Mario Cucinella Architects
- 3nd Prize: 1,000€ + Internship at SBGA Blengini Ghirardelli
- Honourable Mentions x2: 100€
- 5 Special Mentions
- 20 Finalists
- 20 Top 50