The ALA/IIDA Library Interior Design Awards honors excellence in library interior design and promotes examples of extraordinary design reflected through innovative concepts.
Any interior designer, interior architect, or architect, based in the U.S. or internationally, may submit design project(s). Any library interior design project completed after October 1, 2016 is eligible for this competition. Projects previously published are acceptable.
- Your design firm’s contact information including name, address, phone number, and email
- Your design project’s information including name and location
- A 250-word max description of the project challenges, and a 250-word max description of specific solutions to project challenges
- 7-10 color images (jpg or jpeg under 1MB each) of your project – only one (1) exterior image permitted – and a maximum of 3 floor plans (please see entry form for additional image guidelines)
- Payment processed through iida.org
- All submissions must be sent in electronic format. No hard copy submissions are accepted.
- Public Libraries – 30,000 sq. ft. and under
- Public Libraries – Over 30,000 sq. ft.
- Academic Libraries – 30,000 sq. ft. and under
- Academic Libraries – Over 30,000 sq. ft.
- Special Libraries – 30,000 sq. ft. and under
- Special Libraries – Over 30,000 sq. ft.
- Outstanding Historic Renovation Project
- Single Space – a small project that focuses on a specific room or area in a library
- On the Boards – a project currently in the design phase and not under construction
The winning design projects are selected by a jury of design professionals. Entries are judged on the basis of excellence in aesthetics, design, creativity, and function. The jury reserves the right to not offer an award in any given category.
Winners and their clients will be honored at an awards presentation and reception at IIDA Headquarters in Chicago on June 27, 2020 during the 2020 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago. Winning entries are displayed on the IIDA website and published in Contract and American Libraries. Winning firms recieve official digital assets, including competition winner logos, to promote the award, and are featured on IIDA social media to 300,000 followers and in the official press release distributed to leading industry outlets and media partners.