The competition for the Tile of Spain Awards of Architecture and Interior Design is organized and promoted by ASCER, the Spanish Ceramic Tile Manufacturers’ Association. The prizes aim to improve awareness and understanding of ceramic tiles made in Spain amongst architects and interior designers and promote their use by these professionals.
The competition for the Prizes is held annually and is open to projects and professionals in Spain and worldwide. Entries must make significant use of Spanish ceramic floor and/or wall tiles in the formal part of the building.
- Candidates: The competition is open to any person, entity or institution, either individually or as a team. They are required to submit their work in accordance with the terms and conditions given below. Submissions may be made either at the candidate’s own initiative or at the behest of the Awards’ promoters. Professional architects, interior designers, architectural engineers, landscape designers and decorators of all nationalities can enter the Tile of Spain Awards.
- Conditions of entry: In all the architecture and interior design projects submitted, the formal part of the building must feature ceramic floor and/or wall tiles manufactured by Spanish companies from the product category represented by ASCER, for instance, extruded bricks are not considered to be represented by the Association. ASCER will name a technical committee who will check compliance with the requirements stated in the competition rules, focusing on the valid product category.
Professional entries must state which of the following categories they are submitted under:
- Architecture: new buildings, renovation or refurbishment of existing buildings and interventions in urban redevelopment or outdoor landscapes.
- Interior design: decoration of interior spaces in new buildings, as well as improvement or refurbishment projects or installations created for short term events.
The panel of judges reserves the right to classify the entries. Projects entered for the competition must make substantial use of Spanish ceramic floor and/or wall tiles in the project.
Projects carried out both in Spain and in any other part of the world may be submitted. All the documentation must be submitted in Spanish or in English.
The projects must have been completed between January 2018 and October 2020 and must be submitted to the Tile of Spain Awards for the first time.
Entry implies full and unconditional acceptance of all rules as well as the Jury decision and the Technical Committee criteria about the Awards’ resolution. Participants will accept the final decision by the technical committee to whom any complaint will be accepted.
3. Submission of entries: The projects must be sent by three easy steps.
- Visit the web and fill in the registration form.
- Automatically, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with a reference number and a link to We Transfer. Clicking on that link, you have to send all the required documents in a zip folder named as the project’s author*.
- Once we receive and download all the documents you have sent via we transfer, you will receive another email confirming its reception and its download.
Participants must enclose these documents in the zip folder:
- Building specifications. These must be sent in pdf/doc format. It must include a brief description of the project (maximum 600 words), stating the type of ceramic tiles used and the manufacturer’s brand name. This document must be duly identified with the project name and author.
- Brief CV of the architect/interior designer or studio including the full contact details (postal address, telephone and email).
- Pdf panels. A single – unprotected- pdf file containing between 5 and 8 DIN-A3 panels featuring high-resolution photographs that show the finished project from various perspectives. The photographs must be of a size that guarantees they can be viewed correctly. The photographs must include images that clearly show the specific use of ceramic tiles in the project. In addition to the photographs, the panels may also include explanatory texts and detailed plans. The panels must be duly identified with the project name and author.
- Plans. These must be sent in pdf/jpeg/tiff format and include the following: location, plot, general floor plans, elevations, sections, structure and building details. All plans must be in DIN-A3 format and be duly identified with the project name and author.
- Images. A folder must be included containing all the project photographs in jpg/tiff and a 300 dpi resolution photograph of the authors. A maximum of 10 images will be accepted.
4. Awards: A first prize will be awarded to the author or authors in each category.
- Architecture: €17.000
- Interior design: €17.000
Each prize will be taxed in accordance with current legislation.
The panel of judges reserves the right to make up to two special mentions in either category in order to highlight those projects that stand out from others yet have not been declared winners.
The projects that receive the first prize and the special mentions will be published in the CERASPAÑA magazine and the special edition published to commemorate this activity, as well as being included in the award press dossiers and on the official competition website. Likewise, they may be used for all other promotional activities organized by the Association, in each new edition of the book entitled Architectural Ceramics and in the various ASCER publications.
The panel of judges may shortlist as many finalists as it wishes in each category. A list of these projects will be included on the official competition website as well as in other publications related to the Awards.
5. Panel of judges: The responsibilities of the panel of judges are as follows.
- Judging the entries. The minutes must include a reasoned account of the judges’ decision, and each member may include individual reasons for their vote.
- The jury will act collectively and the winner must obtain a majority of the votes. If any judge is also the author of a shortlisted work, they may take part in the voting for all entries except their own.
- The prize must be awarded and cannot be split between two entries.
- The judges may reclassify the entries.
- The judges’ decision is final.
6. Calendar and submission of entries: Documents must be sent in a zip folder by We Transfer to [email protected] as it is stated in the point 3 of these rules.
7. Co-operation: All contestants agree to co-operate with the organization of the Tile of Spain Awards in Architecture and Interior Design (ASCER) and attend to any press and other media that wish to interview them or visit and photograph their projects. No reproduction rights will be payable on any document submitted for the Awards and the information may be used for advertising purposes (in publications, exhibitions and the media).
8. Data protection: Participants are informed that the personal data collected will be processed by ASCER, with address at Ronda Circunvalación, 186, CP 12003 Castellón de la Plana, and will be treated with the purpose of the proper management of the communications, acts and publications of the Association and its associates with respect to third parties that, like you, are in contact with ASCER.It is compulsory to complete the data collected, otherwise the application could not be answered.