Mariupol is famous for its notable industrial and maritime potential. The city has won the fame of Ukraine’s outpost, the city of changes, large-scale reconstruction, pilot projects and European level festivals. Behind it all lies its rich history, traditions and architecture.
For this reason, the international ideas competition is dedicated to the famous and legendary architect of Mariupol, Viktor Nilsen. It is not an easy task to propose a project that will change the “face” of the historical square of Mariupol. Nowadays it is called Vyzvolennia Square. This is the historical heart of the city for over 240 years. Earlier the site was a market place, but today, we want to revive it.
The site is situated in the central and the most populous district of Mariupol called Tsentralnyi (Central). The district represents the Old Mariupol, its historical core. Tsentralnyi district is defined by the coast of the Sea of Azov, Kalmius river to the east, Shevchenko Boulevard on the north and Metalurhiv Avenue to the west.
The peculiarity of the competition site lies in its historical significance and unique ability to boost further sustainable development of the site as one of the epicenters of the City Strategy 2021 implementation. The competition site consists of the section of the Mira Avenue between the intersections with Torgova and Zemska Streets, Vyzvolennia Square with the Cossacks Park and the DASU building with the adjacent territory located at Mira Avenue, 1.
To determine the best ideas and authors of the subsequent project for the landscaping of the Vyzvolennia Square, the revitalization of the DASU building and the adjacent area; to boost further sustainable development of the site as one of the epicenters of the City Strategy 2021 implementation.
- To reconfigure a part of Mira Avenue between the intersections with Zemska and Torgova Streets into a pedestrian zone with the possibility of the further usage of the project proposal for the whole Mira Avenue. Consequently, to turn it into a pedestrian area and provide transport traffic proposals on the site.
- To convert the competition site into a pedestrian public space. Project proposals are required to guarantee:
- A year-round functioning of the competition site as a venue for regular fairs and recreation.
- Publicity, barrier-freeness and comfort of the site for low-mobility groups and persons with disabilities.
- Provide the landscape solutions in terms of gardening, paving, lighting, public furniture.
- To reclassify the DASU building into a City Community Center.
- To provide proposals of the sustainable façades cladding of the DASU building
- To ensure the barrier-free accessibility of the building inside and outside (the entrance, adjacent area).
Architects, landscape architects and urban planners from around the world are invited to contribute to the open international architectural ideas competition for the landscaping of the Vyzvolennia square and the revitalization of the DASU building with the adjacent territory in Mariupol, Ukraine.