The City of Toronto is seeking a Digital Media Design Specialist to join the Strategic Communications division to provide creative design and marketing materials, in various formats (digital, animated, motion graphics and print) and in support of corporate goals and objectives.
Reporting to the Supervisor of Design Services:
- Advises clients on a wide range of digital media design products and services that are compelling, and enhance and promote the programs and services of the City.
- Delivers digital media products and services that are strategic, accomplish the business objectives of the client, meet high quality design and production standards including readability and accessibility, and in accordance with the City’s Corporate Identity Program (CIP).
- Acts as a resource to clients in the design and development of effective digital media content, with consideration to intended audience, message, brand, budget and intent of the communications product.
- Understands and applies sound advertising and marketing best practices, with the ability to articulate marketing goals through clear and consistent design.
- Designs, develops and delivers a variety of digital media including online content, interactive materials, social media content, motion graphics, animation and video.
- Explores and stays current on the latest trends and techniques, and advises management on the need for new technology and/or processes in the area of digital media design and production.
- Designs both online and print materials to provide flexibility in supporting clients’ goals.
- Understands and applies UX/UI and user-centered design best practices.
- Collaborates as part of a team, assisting with projects and providing sound technical and creative advice on design concepts and production tools and techniques.
- Leads and monitors assigned projects, from concept to final product, for quality, budget and timeline controls.
- Performs applicable project and file management, routine computer maintenance and backup procedures and tracks project hours.
- Develops and manages content libraries including design assets in the form of text, photography, graphics, illustrations, video and audio.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary education in Web, Digital or Multimedia Graphic Design or an equivalent combination of education and/or relevant experience working in digital media design, motion graphics, storyboarding, animation and video creation and editing.
- Considerable experience executing designs (ads, layouts, animations, etc.) with various social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) using Adobe Creative Suite, specifically InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Pro, and After Effects and web development language HTML5.
- Considerable experience working with creative briefs to design and develop digital media content, products and promotions and applying user-centred design methodologies to digital media design and production products and services.
- Experience applying W3C, WCAG 2.0, closed captioning and AODA standards and guidelines to digital products.
- Experience conceptualizing, wire framing, prototyping and designing digital products and testing designs across multiple browsers and devices.
You must also have:
- Highly organized, with strong time management skills and the ability to work under pressure and balance multiple projects with a high-level of accuracy and a sense of urgency to meet corporate objectives, deadlines and conflicting work demands.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to perform independent research, including researching new tools and applications.
- Strong problem solving skills and the ability to use user-centered design best practices to develop effective, creative and innovative solutions to meet the needs of employees, clients and users.
- Strong client service focus with excellent verbal and written communication, presentation, interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Proficient with relevant computer software and hardware tools, including both IOS and Windows and platforms and Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to apply principles of design, typography and colour theory with a portfolio that shows a high level of design standard, across a variety of mediums.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively in a team environment, as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Knowledge of all pre-press functions and print production file requirements.
- Knowledge of relevant regulations, including the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities, Act (AODA), Copyright and Creative Commons.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion:
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment where all employees and members of the public feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the public and the communities in which we live and serve.
If you are an individual who requires accommodation to apply to this position, due to disability under the Ontario Human Rights Code, please email us at [email protected], quoting job ID #2328089 and the job title. The City is committed to providing Code-protected accommodation throughout its hiring process. Please visit Hiring Policies and Statements for further details.