The City of Eugene Community Planning and Design team is looking for a positive, productive and collaborative individual to help us turn our community vision into reality. The successful candidate will enjoy providing service to the community, thrive in a team environment, and demonstrate adaptability to a dynamic and fast paced work environment. The Urban Design Planner position focuses on design and planning projects related to implementing Envision Eugene and other work to further our community vision of a compact, connected, livable Eugene for all. The position will also play a role in urban revitalization in support of the City’s goals for Downtown, the 5th Street Market District, and the Riverfront District, home of the World Athletics Championships Riverfront Festival in July 2022.
Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job. Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they are able to perform every task in the job description. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes with relevant transferrable skills from a variety of sources and experiences. The City will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role. The ideal candidate possesses a mix of knowledge, skills and abilities that includes:
- Organize and manage complex tasks or projects to completion, including creatively negotiating barriers, within a fixed timeframe.
- Develop and communicate effective urban design solutions to address diverse needs and interests from small-scale (site design) to regional scale (master plans).
- Work proficiently with and between current design-related software programs, such as Adobe Suite, SketchUp, AutoCAD, and GIS to produce attractive, professional-quality graphic products in print and digital media.
- Familiarity with the methods and economics of urban development, housing production and redevelopment, including financial feasibility and key barriers and challenges.
- Efficiently and thoroughly conduct research on urban design, land use planning, and development using current methods.
- Clearly and confidently organize and communicate complex information with a wide variety of audiences, including oral presentations, technical writing, and visual communication.
- Understand and apply a wide range of land use-related City, State, and Federal plans and regulations in both policy and regulatory situations, with special emphasis on implementing long-term community visions.
- Effectively coordinate and facilitate public events and meetings. Understanding of and experience conducting public design charrettes and workshops is a plus.
- Work well with a variety of people, including development interests, property owners, and community groups in challenging situations.