Winners and finalists flew in from as far away as Poland and China to attend the celebration at Toronto’s iconic Evergreen Brick Works, where the results of Azure’s seventh annual AZ Awards competition were announced on June 23 in the presence of top talents from the local and international architecture and design communities.
The 20 winners of the 2017 AZ Awards proved their prowess through stunning and innovative projects that represent a snapshot of the leading work in global architecture and design today – from a curious, castle-like observatory in New Hampshire that maximizes stargazing to a bicycle-powered canopy that can unfurl anywhere an event space is needed to a 31.3-hectare park that preserves delicate wetlands in China. To mark their achievement, they were each awarded a one-of-a-kind trophy, the creation of Canadian-born, international design phenomenon, Philippe Malouin.
This year’s submissions reached a staggering 813 from 41 countries, setting a formidable task for our jury of renowned experts. Gathering in March to narrow down the hundreds of submissions to a shortlist of 70 finalists were: planner and landscape ecologist Nina-Marie Lister, interior designer Alessandro Munge, industrial designer Theo Richardson, architect Nader Tehrani and multidisciplinary designer Michael Vanderbyl. The jurors met at Toronto’s Drake Hotel – itself a historic landmark – where through debate and discussion they made their final selection of the best of the best – the 20 exceptional winners who were honoured tonight, and who are featured below.
Discover the winning and shortlisted projects below, along with the People’s Choice, by clicking on the Winners and Finalists headings.
All winners and finalists are featured in the Annual Awards Issue, on newsstands June 29 and available to order online here on July 3.
Best Residential Architecture, Single Family
Jean Verville Architecte: FAHOUSE, Eastern Townships, Canada
- Palinda Kannangara Architects: Studio Dwelling at Rajagiriya
- People’s Architecture Office: Mrs Fan’s Plugin House
- Omar Gandhi Architect (Canada) and Design Base 8 (U.S.): Rabbit Snare Gorge (People’s Choice)
- Studio MK27: Jungle House
Best Residential Architecture, Multi-Unit
Hiroyuki Ito Architects: Tatsumi Apartment House, Tokyo, Japan
- FXFOWLE: 35XV
- MAD Architects: Huangshan Mountain Village
- Bjarke Ingels Group: The Grove at Grand Bay
Best Architecture Over 1,000 Square Metres
Patkau Architects: Audain Art Museum, Whistler, Canada
- Steven Holl Architects: Visual Arts Building, University of Iowa
- Henning Larsen Architects with GPP Arkitekter: Frederiksbjerg School
- Atelier du Pont: Community of Municipalities’ Offices
- Hariri Pontarini Architects: Bahá’í Temple of South America
- Gimeno Guitart: Church and Parish Center Santa Maria Assumpta (People’s Choice)
Best Architecture Under 1,000 Square Metres
Anmahian Winton Architects: Gemma Observatory, Central New Hampshire, U.S.
- BO-DA Architecture: Group 8 Headquarters, Seoul, South Korea (People’s Choice)
- Neri&Hu Design and Research Office: Suzhou Chapel, Suzhou, China
Best Recreational Architecture
Matter Design and FR|SCH Projects: Five Fields Play Structure, Lexington, U.S.
- The Marc Boutin Architectural Collaborative: John Fry Sports Park Pavilion (People’s Choice)
- Kleinfeldt Mychajlowycz Architects: BMX Supercross Legacy Track, Toronto, Canada
Best Temporary & Demonstration Architecture
People’s Architecture Office: People’s Canopy, Preston, U.K.
Matter Design: Microtherme, Boston, U.S. (People’s Choice)
Best Landscape Architecture
Turenscape: Quzhou Luming Park, Quzhou City, China
- Victoria Taylor Landscape Architect: Public Laneway Puncture, Toronto, Canada
- West 8: Governors Island Phase 2: The Hills, New York, U.S.
Adamiczka Consulting: A Church for the Local Community, Wrocław, Poland
- Sanjay Puri Architects: Iskcon Temple, Ahmedabad, India
- Belzberg Architects: Zacatecas, Mexico City, Mexico (People’s Choice)
Best Residential Interior
Desai Chia Architecture: Photographer’s Loft, New York, U.S.
- FM.X Interior Design: Returning Hut, Fujian, China
- Audax with Pencil Design: Strata House, Toronto, Canada (People’s Choice)
Best Institutional & Commercial Interior
Neri&Hu Design and Research Office: The HUB Performance and Exhibition Center, Shanghai, China
- Assembly Design Studio: Uber Advanced Technologies Group, Pittsburgh, U.S.
- Hallucinate Design Office: Midwest Inland Port Financial Town, Xi’an, China
- Fieldevo Design Studio: NCTU Innovation Centre, Hsinchu, Taiwan
- João Mendes Ribeiro Arquitecto: Claus Porto Flagship Store, Lisbon, Portugal
- Maurice Mentjens: House of Smart, Eindhoven, Netherlands (People’s Choice)
Best Furniture Design
Republic of Fritz Hansen: Pair Chair, by Benjamin Hubert
- Coalesse: LessThanFive Chair, by Michael Young
- Neal Aronowitz: Whorl Table (People’s Choice)
- MDF Italia: Sign Filo, by Piergiorgio Cazzaniga
- Estúdio Ronald Sasson: Armchair Yori
Best Furniture System
Keilhauer: Hangout Collection, by EOOS
Teknion with PearsonLloyd: Zones
Best Lighting Fixtures
Flos: Infra-Structure, by Vincent Van Duysen
- Davide Groppi: Infinito (People’s Choice)
- Brightgreen: Surface-Mounted Wall Light Collection
Best Lighting Installations
CannonDesign and NEUF Architect(e)s: CHUM Passerelle, Montreal, Canada
- Lichtvision Design and Random International: Swarm Study / IX, Chemnitz, Germany
- Castor Design: Particle Accelerator, Toronto, Canada
Best Interior Products
Young Projects: Pulled Plaster Panels
- Agape: Dot Line, by García Cumini
- Wolf-Gordon: Wolf-Gordon + Mae Engelgeer
Best Architectural Products
Rimadesio: Soho Doors, by Giuseppe Bavuso
- Nemo Tile & Stone: Think Thin, by Matt Karlin
- RVB: Andrew, by Co.Studio
EXPERIENTIAL GRAPHIC DESIGN
Volume: Bloomberg SF Tech Hub, San Francisco, U.S.
- Form:Media and Ekistics Planning & Design: Storyboard on the Landscape, Batoche, Canada (People’s Choice)
- Civiliti: Pont Ferroviaire, Montreal, Canada
Michael Green Architecture: T3 Minneapolis, Minneapolis, U.S.
Edward Ogosta Architecture: Hangar Office
OPSYS: Extraction, Venice, Italy
- Architem Wolff Shapiro Kuskowski Architectes: Old Brewery Mission, Transformation of Cafeteria, Café and Kitchen, Montreal, Canada (People’s Choice)
- People’s Architecture Office: Mrs Fan’s Plugin House, Beijing, China
A+ STUDENT AWARD
Students of Kansas State University: Preston Outdoor Education Station, Cottonwood Falls, U.S.
- Mark Hemphill, Savannah College of Art and Design: Wiggle Theory
- Students of design/buildLAB, Virginia Tech: Sharon Fields
- Caio Barboza and Sofia Blanco Santos, Harvard University: Aéro (People’s Choice)
- Tomasz Broma, Wrocław University of Science and Technology: S’lowtecture Housing Structure