The Seventeenth initiative of the Architectural Journalism & Criticism Organization invites participants to explore and write about architecture and allied fields from a thinker’s perspective. The theme for the series in this cycle is Architectural Precedents.
Looking back at the past, formulating the present in anticipation of the future, one is in search of precedents. The question still is; is Precedent always an answer? It may, of course, be a complete answer that one can emulate. Whilst it can also be an intangible form of the answer that is laying the path, but not building the destination.
While in search of a worthy precedent; History may be a route to take, but there are many others too. Precedent may precede one by time, order, class and or importance. So a Precedent may be as close as yesterday and as far as prehistoric. Search for a precedent should open doors, not wearing blinkers. One may look within their house for a precedent, but to open doors one should look around too; a precedent can surely be interdisciplinary. So will an Architectural Precedent always be Architecture?
An exploration into this realm of Architectural Precedents; is the call of the essay. Open doors and look for Precedents, open eyes identify them, open analysis to interpret them. Document and record a narrative of your experience while you engage and interact with these precedents.
- Submissions are open to all writers in English. International submissions are welcome.
- Maximum two entries per registrant are allowed.
- The Essay may be accompanied by an original Illustration/Photograph (optional).
- Each essay should not exceed 800-1000 words.
- Participants can freely choose ‘one’ or ‘more’ questions from the above mentioned theme.
- The entry along with the registration screenshot should be sent to [email protected] with the subject line Essay Writing Contest, 2nd Cycle – Category in a word document with 12 pt., Arial font, single-line spacing.
- All entrants must mention any of their social media handles with the submission (Instagram, Twitter or Facebook etc.)
Open to collegians, professionals, academicians, researchers & design enthusiasts.
- Citation Award – An AJC curated set of books worth 11000 INR/150 USD.
- Special Mention 1 – An AJC curated set of books worth 7500 INR/100 USD.
- Special Mention 2 – An AJC curated set of books worth 7500 INR/100 USD.
Attested E-Certificates of Participation will be sent to all the entrants and the winning entries shall be featured on several web architectural portals. Also, the best entries shall be complied as an Anthology with ISBN No. after the successful run of all the cycles under this Series.