The NPO Asian Institute of Low Carbon Design (AILCD) is pleased to announce the 13th AILCD International Architecture Design Competition. The theme of this year is “High School Design for Kharkiv, Ukraine”. The competition addresses the problem of post-war Ukrainian urban planning in Kharkiv, Ukraine. The competition asks the students and young architects to re-design a destroyed educational building and its surrounding area in Kharkiv.
The topic of the competition is to create a high-quality modern lyceum considering the modern requirements of urbanism, comfort, and accessibility within the conditions of a historically formed city environment. It is required to search for the best solution of a high-quality urban composition and an original architectural design of a modern educational complex of the lyceum, in relation with the surroundings, access to the adjacent streets, on the same site of the destroyed lyceum.
- Multidisciplinary teams of graduate (master and PhD students) and undergraduate students from architecture, landscape, civil engineering, and related disciplines are accepted.
- Young architects aged under 35 are allowed to participate too.
- Teams and individual entries are accepted. Teams of students can have up to 5 members, young architects can have up to 3 members in the team.
- Only one project may be submitted per team.
The main conceptual tasks of the competition are:
- Creation of a high-quality example of an educational institution considering modern world trends in school education, comfort of learning and accessibility.
- Searching for high-quality urban composition and original design concepts.
- Formation of a structure of the educational complex in the context and scale of the
- Rethinking the transformation of the old Soviet schools and implementation of modern
trends in the design of educational institutions.
The proposals should also consider below requirements:
- New school building design.
- Overall sustainable concept.
- Green space design.
- Proposals of renewable energy systems.
- Connection with the surrounding area.