What would you do with an old and empty building? Would you tear it down, leave it abandoned, or could you transform it into something new? Cities all around the world are wrestling with this very challenge. The question then becomes, what can architecture do about it?
At DesignClass we are passionate about responding to the challenges of life through well-considered design.
We don’t think good design is exclusive to brand-new buildings, created on empty lots. There are literally millions of buildings around the world, in millions of communities that could be adapted to a new purpose in a beautiful way.
Think of the opportunities that await cities like Detroit, where entire skyscrapers lie empty, waiting for a visionary person to come along. You could be that visionary. You have the power to impact communities.
This brings us to the Adaptive Reuse Architecture Design Competition.
This is your challenge, reimagine an existing and underutilized building into a beautiful piece of architecture that positively impacts your community. To showcase your design, you’ll be creating up to 5 images and a written description explaining your reasoning and process.
The first step is to find a building in your community that you’d like to redefine. Remember, this is more than remodeling and swapping out paint colours, the point is to identify a place that can have a second chance at life through your design.
Next, think about and analyze what type of design would serve that building. Are you converting an old factory into urban lofts? Are you adapting a derelict church into a beautiful family home? Maybe you’re transforming a old mall into a sleek office building? The possibilities are endless.
Once you’ve decided, create an amazing piece of adaptive reuse architecture that showcases your talent and the untapped opportunity in the building you’ve chosen.
- Up to 5 Images of your design, showing any features you wish to highlight. They may be plans, details, renderings, or any other type of graphic.
- You must submit at least one image, with a maximum of 5.
- Written Design Description, fewer than 500 words, in English.
- No names, logos, or identifying text in the images.
- Keep text inside the images to a minimum
- Do not place multiple small views inside an image. One view per image.
- Images must be exactly 3000 x 3000 pixels (square)
- Images must be in jpg format
- Images must be under 3mb each.
- All text must be in English
- Must be an original work, created by the submitter
- One design submission per registration
- You may work as an individual or in a group or team
- DesignClass reserves the right to suspend the competition and refund entry fees.
- Participants retain all rights to their submissions.
- Participants grant DesignClass license to publish submissions online and in print.
- Open to anyone from anywhere